Tuesday, June 4, 2013

covers I would love to hear.

Low - "Detachable Penis" (King Missile) (with Mimi singing) (just kidding) Naked City or some other John Zorn group -- "Man in the Street" (the Skatalites) Björk -- "Dreams" (the Cranberries) Tom Waits & Marianne Faithfull -- "Fairytale of New York" (the Pogues) Tomahawk -- "Spoonman" (Soundgarden) Rod Stewart -- "4'33''" (John Cage)* Posthumous/Post-breakup Ones: Stan Kenton and His Orchestra -- "Bohemian Rhapsody" (Queen)** Morphine -- "Money For Nothing" (Dire Straits) Mr. Bungle -- "MacArthur Park" (Jimmy Webb) *Epilog: now that I've thought about this one, it's comical because I'm saying I want Rod Stewart to shut up, but he's already weaseled his ugly little fingers in too many artistically relevant pies, and I'd rather he not think any more highly of himself. **Kenton & his orchestra were the ones who came up with the "Wall of Sound" phrase and idea -- I was originally going to have "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" as the song I wanted to hear them play, but I don't think that old nut Phil Spector gave them due credit for the conceptual Wall, so they shouldn't be paying tribute to his work.

No comments: